The Internet of Things (IoT) has been called one of the key drivers of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. This is because of the rate of adoption, the extent of transformation, and the sheer power of data and connection. Through the collection, analysis, and strategic possibilities of data, businesses are finding innovative ways to improve customer experiences, improve productivity, and save costs. Additionally, there are exciting opportunities to guide the transition to more sustainable practices and achieve compliance imperatives with ease.
Statistics show exponential growth around IoT devices and solutions around the world. Companies are expected to invest up to $15 trillion in IoT devices by 2025 and the amount of data generated by IoT devices is expected to reach 73.1ZB (zettabytes) by the same year.
IoT NETWORKS: POWERING CONNECTION
Growing data quantities create challenges around security, storage, and proper analysis. Successful IoT solutions rely on the choice of IoT data network. Wifi, cellular, and LPWAN are all set to become household names in relation to IoT. However, Orion, The Real-Time Data Network™ stands out, delivering real-time data, which is then processed to create actionable insights – affordably, accurately, and reliably.
IoT IN PRACTICE: STEEPER GROUP’S COST SAVINGS & TRANSFORMATION WITH ORION
The benefits of Orion are being experienced by a growing number of global clients, across a range of industries and applications. Steeper Group is one such success story. Using the smart energy monitoring solutions from Smarter Technologies Group – powered by Orion – Steeper Group saved thousands of pounds per year on their energy bills.
Steeper Group is a prosthetics, orthotics, and accessible technologies company with operations based in Leeds. In collaboration with their landlord, Royal London Investment Management, the move to smart energy monitoring systems was made. This was done with the aim of lowering energy bills, reducing emissions by reducing unnecessary consumption, and serving ESG commitments.
Saving energy requires an understanding of consumption – and there is no better way than to analyse actual consumption data. From this, areas of potential savings and wastage are pinpointed.
Prior to working with Smarter Technologies Group and Orion, Steeper Group had relied on their invoices for consumption data. This resulted in inaccuracies, delays, and time-consuming administration.
The company also wanted to test the hypothesis that they could reduce energy consumption by isolating unused processes associated with their Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer. This worked to incinerate solvents created across 16 factory processes.
Smart electricity and gas monitoring systems were connected to a remotely accessible dashboard (called SmarterView) by Orion. The IoT data network allows for real-time energy consumption monitoring, alerts around undesirable changes, and a user-friendly management platform. The latter allows for long-term strategising and evidenced ROI through comprehensive, securely cloud-stored historical data and analytics.
Steeper Group experienced the following savings using smart energy monitoring systems:
- 40% reduced gas consumption. 3 500 kWh of gas were saved per week.
- 50% reduced energy consumption on process testing. This was undeniable evidence for the leadership team to make data-aligned energy decisions into the future.
- By isolating processes, a new isolation regime is anticipated to reduce gas consumption from 298kW per hour to 188kW per hour. Electricity was forecast to be reduced from 38kW per hour to 19kW per hour.
- Reduced consumption equates to thousands of pounds in savings, lower emissions, and presents meaningful metrics for ESG efforts.
THE FUTURE STARTS TODAY: MAKE A SMARTER START
IoT smart technologies are the simple, scalable, cost-effective way to trigger digital transformation – no matter the size or scope of your business. Orion, The Real-Time Data Network™ is a top choice with the following benefits:
- Global reach
- Easily deployable smart technologies
- Unlimited applications – covering both hardware and software solutions
- Simply scalable – offering powerful advantages for every business, whether you are an SME or a large-scale, multinational corporate concern.
- Intelligent data for intelligent decision-making. Our user interface has been shaped by a decade of client experience. The result is a user-friendly platform that simplifies admin, billing, and compliance reporting. It also assimilates easily digestible data analysis for data-driven strategic planning. These data readings also inspire improved performance and reduced waste, which has the potential to increase productivity and profitability and reduce operational costs.
With Orion, The Real-Time Data Network™, Smarter Technologies Group creates smart applications that play a role in ecosystems of smart buildings and smart cities – for a future that’s smarter, more efficient, and more connected. The result is a better experience for people within built environments, more intuitive and intelligent workplaces, and enhanced customer experiences.
Visit https://www.oriondatanetwork.com/ to learn more.